Choirs and Bands
LOVE TO PERFORM? SNJ Studio of Music offers performance opportunities through our award-winning vocal ensembles, Center Stage show choir, SNJ Singers a cappella ensemble; and our newest addition, Blackbird Rock Co., our rock band for grades 8-12.
Our groups join together to present two major concerts per year. In addition, they perform at community events, show choir competitions, and festivals throughout the metro area. Each December the SNJ Singers take the stage with world class musicians through our collaboration with the Omaha Symphony, forming the chorus for the Symphony’s popular Christmas Celebration.
The SNJ Singers is the premier vocal ensemble at the SNJ Studio of Music. They have been featured performers at the Omaha Symphony Christmas Celebration, Worlds of Fun, the UNL Chamber Choir Festival, the Big Red Road Show, and at the Iowa Western Performing Arts Center. They also host their own A Cappella Festival each year.
This 50-voice ensemble, directed by Joel Johnston, is comprised of talented high school singers from across the Omaha metropolitan area, many of whom are also active in their own school choirs, show choirs, and musicals. SNJ Singers perform repertoire ranging from classic choral literature to contemporary a cappella.
Audition Process 2021-22
Auditions will take place during the weeks of May 10 and May 17 for the 2021-22 season. Auditions will be in person at the studio, although singers can request a zoom audition as well. For more information, and to schedule an audition, please contact Joel Johnston at 402-321-5323 or email@example.com. Click below for an Application..
Members must commit to rehearsals and performances for the entire season. In the event of a conflict with a school music activity, it is understood that students will first honor their commitment to the school activity. Rehearsals are Sundays from 5:00-6:30 PM. There is a fee of $380, which covers tution, music and outfits. Payment is due at first rehearsal in August or a 3-month payment plan is also offered.
Center Stage has gained a reputation as one of the finest middle school show choirs in the region. Center Stage is a middle school treble show choir for grades 6-8. This non-auditioned ensemble, directed by Joel Johnston, performs at two major studio concerts, and appears in festivals at the Millard South Stars on Stage, Elkhorn South Crystal Cup, Westside Battle of the Show Choirs, and Millard North Galaxy of Stars. Center Stage members come from schools throughout the Omaha metropolitan area. Many are also involved in their own school show choirs.
Application Process 2021-22
Applications for the 2021-22 school year are being accepted now! Completed applications, including $100 deposit, may be mailed or dropped off, to SNJ Studio of Music. Registrations received after May 1 will only be considered if there are still spots available in the group.
The group is capped at 56 members. Spots are filled in the following order of priority:
- Returning members
- Siblings of current or outgoing members, or current ongoing SNJ Studio voice students
- Grade level (8th first, then 7th, then 6th)
- Assuming there are still spots available after #1-3 above, we will fill them in the order that registrations are received
Members must commit to rehearsals and performances for the entire season. Rehearsals are Mondays from 5:00-6:30 PM. There is a fee of $340, which covers tuition, music, and festival fees. A $100 deposit must accompany applications. Center Stage members will also be required to purchase a costume and a T-shirt. Costume fee and remaining ensemble balance is due in August, or a 3-month payment plan is also available.
Blackbird Rock Co. is SNJ’s newest performance ensemble, created with the purpose to provide students with an authentic and educational rock band experience. Through this program musicians in grades 8-12 will have opportunities to gain further musical knowledge, grow their individual skill sets, learn how to collaborate within a group setting, and perform at local venues!
Blackbird Rock Co. consists of two bands that frequently perform together and learn the same repertoire. BRC encourages the celebration of rock music through the ages and song selections will vary widely. Musicians must be ready to focus on learning repertoire at a fast pace. Dedication to practicing outside of rehearsal is crucial to the success of the program.
- The 2021-22 season consists of two semesters:
November 18, 2021 – February 10, 2022
February 17, 2022 – May 5, 2022.
Blackbird Rock Co. members must commit to the entire season.
- Rehearsals are Thursdays 7 – 9:30PM.
- Rehearsals will take place at our Millard studio – 5244 S. 136th Street, Omaha 68137
- Performances will be scheduled throughout each semester.
- Tuition is $299 per semester plus a group t-shirt.
- We offer a tuition payment plan of $100 per month plus $5 processing fee December 2021 – May 2022.
Musicians in grades 8-12 are welcome to audition. It is not a requirement that you be an SNJ Studio private student to audition.
- Female Vocalists
- Male Vocalists
- Lead Guitar
- Rhythm Guitar
Auditions: Saturday, November 6, 2021 from 11 AM – 2 PM.
CallBacks: Saturday, November 6 beginning at 3 PM
- Each musician will have a ten-minute audition time slot. Audition times must be reserved in advance.
- To reserve your audition time, please complete the form below and we will contact you to set up your audition time. You may also email or call director Emily Boganowski at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (402) 880-3502.
- Auditions will take place at our Millard studio – 5244 S. 136th Street, Omaha 68137.
Each audition will consist of playing or singing the selections listed below and a short dialogue with the panel about skill level, music background, and any other inquiries.
Please prepare the following for your audition:
- “Bad Company” by Bad Company (Audition tracks below).
- A song of your own choosing that showcases your skills and independence with your individual instrument. Please bring your own track.
- A printed and signed application form must be turned in at the time of audition. You can find the link below.
- Mics, keyboard, and drum kit will be provided for auditions. Guitarists and bassists will need to bring their own instrument/amp.